This meal combines foods that yield the best combination of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats to sustain favorable blood sugar levels to give you more energy, mental clarity, and body fat loss.
Prep time: 13 mins Cook time: 17 mins. Total: 30 mins. Serves: 2
- 1/2- 2/3 cup very thinly sliced fennel bulb or leeks, white part only
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup very thinly sliced carrots or shredded
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herb of choice: tarragon, basil, dill or cilantro (or 2 teaspoons dried herb)
- 2 (8-ounce salmon fillets, skin and pin bones removed)
- 1 small can Mandarin oranges (reserve juice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or dry white wine
- 1-2 tablespoons EV olive oil or melted clarified butter (ghee)
- Parchment paper or if in a pinch you can use foil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take 2 sheets of parchment paper (24 inches long) and fold in half .Cut a half heart shape, away from the fold. Open the parchment paper to reveal a heart shape on a flat surface. Now you have 2 heart sheets of parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss together fennel or leeks, carrots, and 1/2 of the herb, salt & pepper.
- Lay 1/2 the vegetable mixture on the parchment in the center to 1 side of the fold, perpendicular to the fold
- Lay 1 salmon on top of vegetables and season with 1/2 remaining salt, pepper and herb.
- Top with the orange wedges and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Fold other side of heart over fish and starting at top of heart shape, fold up both edges of parchment, overlapping folds as you move along, so that it’s almost like you’re rolling in the edges. Once you reach the end tip, twist several times to secure a tight seal.
- Repeat procedure with the second piece of parchment paper
- Place each pouch on a baking sheet and bake until the paper is puffed up and golden brown, for about 16-17 minutes. If the salmon was thicker than 1 inch then bake about 19 minutes.
Note: This is an ideal meal if you’re in a hurry or for a lunch at work:
- Place the pouch on microwave safe plate and cook for 4 minutes, on high in microwave, or until fish reaches 130 degrees.
- Open parchment carefully! I like to cut one side then transfer salmon with veggies onto the center of a plate by sliding it out from the paper using a spatula.
- Top with Mandarin juice, melted ghee and serve as a beautiful complete healthy meal.
Hope you enjoy! Check out some of my other favorite meals, click here to sign up and get 5 of my top featured recipes.